6 Max Pre Flop Opening Sizes

rnro6

6 Max Pre Flop Opening Sizes

Post by rnro6 »

Hi

Thanks for Thomas for the new website and this forum.

I see a lot of examples in the Zenith lessons, tutorial hand histories, sims etc of CO and BU min opening. Elsewhere I see advice that LJ and HJ should use smaller opening sizes (to be able to call smaller 3bet sizings?) and CO and BU a bit bigger, and bigger still in SB. So unless there is a fish in the Blinds I use 2BB in LJ and HJ, 2.5BB in CO and BU and 3BB in SB - I'm playing on iPoker where you cant have a betting button of (for example) 2.2BB like you can on Stars. When there's a fish in the Blinds I size up to exploitatively get more money in the pot - not sure if this is correct. Interestingly I notice Michael Acevedo's Modern Poker Theory recommends 2.5BB from all positions except SB which is 3BB.

So my question is what are the theoretically correct sizings, and why?

Thanks in advance.
NL50 6 Max
Thomas Pinnock

Re: 6 Max Pre Flop Opening Sizes

Post by Thomas Pinnock »

Opening sizes depend a lot on the stack depth. Also, it's more correct to use multiple open sizes than just one. It is correct to say that earlier positions should use smaller open sizes - they should risk less to see the action behind them. The biggest open size is then from the SB who can open quite large. At 100bb deep I recommend:
SB 2.5-4bb
BU 2.25-2.75bb
CO 2-2.5bb
HJ/LJ 2-2.25bb
UTG/+1/+2/+3 in FR 2bb
The deck owes you nothing.
rnro6

Post by rnro6 »

Thank you Thomas
NL50 6 Max
whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

Thomas, could you elaborate a bit more on how opening sizes relate to stack depth? For instance, how do our sizings deviate from the baseline that you lined out when we are deep (+200BB) and when playing against a recreational with a small effective stack (<100BB). Thanks!
Thomas Pinnock

Post by Thomas Pinnock »

Stack depth has a very small impact on opening sizes. 3bet and 4bet sizes change a lot, especially from BB.
The deck owes you nothing.