Alvin Lau (AlvinTeaches Poker)

meadowstream

Alvin Lau (AlvinTeaches Poker)

Post by meadowstream »

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that I am a former CFP student of Alvin.
I feel it would be fair to give my review.

I was winning at 12bb/100 at NL25 Zoom and decided to invest in learning more since I was playing exploitable and not with much theory behind it. So I bought the course, and within a couple of weeks got selected into the private CFP.

I got told to stop doing all bad shit I was doing, (mainly attacking a lot of checks, since they seemed to always fold) which resulted me in dropping around 40 buyins.

After a while the strategies I was using before the CFP was then introduced in the CFP (attacking checks), so I was able to get back to even. Though with high stress throughout since I was no longer thinking myself, but instead trying to figure out what to do without getting shit for it in the review session later.

After a couple of months without progress I basically got sacked since I did not profit in time.

Lost 95% of my interest in poker and haven't played much since.

It was one of the most frustrating periods of my life. A very odd emotional experience. Never felt more stupid and belittled.

So, I basically moved down and quit a game I previously loved.

I'd be happy to answer any questions and get some of this shit off my chest, thank you.
WeirdBeard

Re: Alvin Lau (AlvinTeaches Poker)

Post by WeirdBeard »

Hey man,
that sounds pretty fcked up :(
Are you back playing? Zenith should get you back to your old love for the game! :)
Cela

Post by Cela »

I was in the same CFP group as OP we attend the exact same lessons and got the exact same treatment and I'd watched him play for serval sessions. OP had issues with tilt and discipline and focused on the wrong aspects of his game to improve. Some of the stuff in this post is just an outright lie and the idea that the program doesn't work isn't true with me and other students as an example. I ended up moving from 25 NL to 200z game and higher stakes private games under the same guidance. Alvin didn't kick OP out, OP joined a coaching session after a few weeks of good steady progress and said that he titled off his roll at showdown and in other spots. Poker is a hard game but you can't blame other people for your actions since at the end of the day you're the one clicking the buttons and making the decisions you can't blame other people for that.

Also the whole not attacking checks thing in bs that literally all Alvin teaches
meadowstream

Post by meadowstream »

Cela wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:07 am OP joined a coaching session after a few weeks of good steady progress and said that he titled off his roll at showdown and in other spots.
I'm glad you found success with Alvin! However, I think you are confusing me with someone else, I never tilted off my roll. I was about breakeven after I quit due to not making enough profit.
Time_Traveller

Post by Time_Traveller »

I would be very weary of Alvin Lau. He has been caught faking graphs and faking his reviews. You can do a little bit of research to find he's full of shit. He's not a bad player but he's certainly not a high stakes caliber player. He's a midstakes grinder who fakes his graphs and reviews to make it seem like he is a high level player. If you're a low stakes grinder, I'm sure he has some things to teach you.