Opening sizes with Antes

nicamstereo

Opening sizes with Antes

Post by nicamstereo »

Hi - I play 10NL on Stars where they have introduced antes, same at 25NL I think. How does this affect opening sizes, say you were opening 2.5* all positions in 6 max excepting sb at 3*.
Its been hard to get a definitive answer through searching, some say open larger, some say open wider, some say defend wider and so on. To be frank I am not yet a winner at this game but try hard all the same, but the introduction of antes has flummoxed me even more.
If you open wider then its even harder to beat the excessive rake at this stake, if you defend wider you are playing ever more weaker ranges OOP and again rake must be a consideration too.
I mean I see players min raising all the time still despite the antes this is surely a mistake or am I thinking wrong. Sorry if I sound like I dont know what I am on about.
Thomas Pinnock

Re: Opening sizes with Antes

Post by Thomas Pinnock »

The rake is so high in these low level ante games. If you think you can beat the games despite the rake then you should be making a lot of exploitative preflop adjustments such as using different open sizes with different hands.
The deck owes you nothing.
nicamstereo

Post by nicamstereo »

Thanks Thomas. No I cant beat 10NL, I am just a low level player trying to do better.
I dont even know what your answer means really, perhaps this forum will be too advanced for me.
abanger

Post by abanger »

Can you simply just raise the same % of the pot as you would with no ante, while keeping the ranges the same?
nicamstereo

Post by nicamstereo »

abanger- thats how I saw it but just listening to others there were differing opinions.
Thomas Pinnock

Post by Thomas Pinnock »

If you're not sure what to do for ante games then I recommend to avoid them and focus on improving your play in standard NLHE 100bb cash games. Use micro stakes for practice to get better. It's a waste of time (and sanity) building a bankroll by grinding the micros.
The deck owes you nothing.
nicamstereo

Post by nicamstereo »

Thanks Thomas, yes I have been told that before, in that the focus is about improving.
2legit2nit

Post by 2legit2nit »

You can look at snowie ranges/sizes with ante as you have that option. the AI has learned to play well with that dynamic.